Sunday, September 2, 2012

Thyroid results are in...


My thyroid tests are in and they are unexpected.  

On Tuesday I went to see my Primary Care Doctor.  Thankfully the appointment went well.  I went armed to do battle with all of my research and surprisingly didn't have to fight.  She ordered tests for TSH, T3 and T4.  The results came back Friday.

December 2007 - TSH was 1.78
December 2011 - TSH was 4.34 (the result that started all of my TSH & Miscarriage research)
August 2012      - TSH was 3.36 (I expected it to be in the 5's with all of my symptoms
                                                       - the most debilitating being fatigue and joint pain)
                                                       A helpful Hypothyroid symptom checklist
                          - Free T4 was 0.89 ('normal' range is 0.8-1.8, 'optimal range' is 1.2-1.3)
                          - Free T3 was 3.7 ('normal' range is 2.3-4.2, 'optimal range' is 3.2-3.3)

A good source for putting these test results into perspective, and where I found the 'optimal ranges' above can be found here: http://drrind.com/therapies/thyroid-scale
 

When I called for the results I spoke to the nurse who gave me no indication of what they think of my results.  She only mentioned that they wanted me back at the lab to get the antibodies test now. 

As far as I can tell these results are consistent with a slowly failing thyroid.  I think I fall into that controversial 'sub-clinical' category which is a little frustrating.  

Rainshower:        Being impatient I'd rather have sky high values and get on medication 
                            sooner than later but at least I'm heading in the right direction.
Rainbow:             My fingers are crossed that my primary care doctor read all the research I
                            left with her about miscarriages being linked to TSH levels above 2.5, the
                            new TSH normal ranges, etc. and will put me on meds soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment