Thursday, June 11, 2015

My Fellow Travelers...

I came out.  All out.

Back in October 2013, I posted about all of our losses on Facebook since it was "Pregnancy & Infant Loss Awareness Month".  People were sweet.  People felt sorry for me.  Plenty of people didn't understand that I said I lost THREE babies.  Plenty of people didn't understand how unusual it is to lose three in a row.

Recently, in April 2015, I PUT IT ALL OUT THERE in honor of "Infertility Awareness Week."  Everything.  It was the longest Facebook post I have ever posted.  So long that I had to figure out what the character limit was.  The responses touched me deeply.  I still tear up thinking about them and actually cry when I re-read them.  Good tears.

One of my favorite responses was from another former infertile.  In my post I mentioned that I finally found a group of women with similar challenges which is incredibly rare given my diagnosis.  She said:

"I've always been in awe of you and your strength. I'm glad to hear that the world has shown you a group of fellow travelers in this minority of minority spheres in which you find yourself. May you get to your goal of being a Mama! Sending love and wishes."

I'm in the minority of the minority of the minority.  Her response made me realize how lucky I am to have found this particular group of ladies, my fellow travelers.


Dear Fellow Travelers,
I am sorry we had to meet under these circumstances.  We have so much in common, medically speaking.  We have the similar challenges and similar diagnoses.  We have the same hopes and dreams.  We have the same doubts and worry.  

While it stinks to be in THIS together, at least we have one another.  

It's taken me four years to find you but I am forever grateful we have this lovely virtual relationship.  Together we can pick someone up when they are having a bad day and know that in the future you will do the same.

I appreciate you.  I appreciate your time.  I appreciate your willingness to lend an ear and offer your experiences, diagnosis & treatment plan.

Most importantly, I appreciate your companionship on this arduous trip in which we find ourselves.  

My hope for all of you is that the destination is worth the long road we have taken to get there.  Hopefully we do not lose ourselves along the way.

With love, gratitude & hope,
Sunny

No comments:

Post a Comment