Monday, November 26, 2012

I have a polyp... Now what?

This morning I had a sonohystogram done. I expected to be told everything looks fine just like ALL of the other tests I've had done (including an HSG). To say I was surprised by the outcome is an understatement.

All I know is that I have a 5-6 mm polyp at the top of my uterus. In the back, I think. The ultrasound tech didn't say much but she inferred that it will have to be removed because it is in prime implantation area.

Goody-goody-gumdrops.

The sonohystogram was more uncomfortable than the HSG I had done with my first RE. Odd considering it was supposed to be easier by everyone's description (my RE, his nurse, ultrasound tech and the Dr. Performing the procedure).

I cramped far more than with the HSG. I have a retroverted uterus (it tilts backwards 'quite a bit' according to the technician). I assume that because of my tilted uterus they had to attempt it multiple times with two different catheters (I'll leave out the details about why I think that is).

The worst part about her multiple attempts was that right before they abandoned the first catheter the ultrasound tech 'saw something'.   That is not what you want to hear during this procedure.  The hope is that they see nothing.  Something - not good.

I had to lay there worrying and cramping, my mind racing, while they used a different catheter which happened to be the same one used with the HSG procedure.   Not the greatest experience.

I contained my emotions. I didn't cry. I pretended to be unfazed by the outcome. I think I was in shock, really. I never considered the possibility of them actually finding something. Mostly because everyone has been so confident that there is nothing wrong with me.

I feel sadly vindicated. I feel lucky to have found a doctor who is ordering these tests.

My first stop after the procedure was google, of course. The procedure to remove the poly is called an hysteroscopic polypectomy.

It requires anesthesia. Boo.

I'm a little freaked out. Luckily I have a follow up appt with my doctor next Monday so we will see what he has to say about it all.

Rainshower: More delays in getting pregnant. I'm terrified of going under anesthesia since I've never even broken a bone.  Surgery has never been mentioned before.

Rainbow: Maybe this polyp, along with my elevated TSH, is the problem. Lets get that sucker out of there.



No comments:

Post a Comment