Monday, January 28, 2013

Surgery... check!

So I had surgery. I checked it off my list.

I've felt uninspired to write much both leading up to the surgery (hysteroscopic polypectomy) and since.

More waiting I suppose.

The surgery was a breeze (for me). No pain whatsoever. I'm spotting a little now but that's about it. My doctor, on the other hand, used all of his allotted time to remove the polyp since it was in a rather difficult to access location at the top of my RETROVERTED uterus. Maybe my retroverted uterus contributed to the difficult location? I may find out on Wednesday, I may not.

I also may find out the size of the polyp after it was removed. It measured in at 6mm during the sonohystogram in November. My RE mentioned to my husband that it was about 1cm after he removed it so it grew in size in the last two months.

I'm on medication to repair my uterine lining in the location of the polyp (and to prevent scar tissue from building up). I will take the medication, estradoil, for a month then will take another medication, generic Provera for a few days (to induce my period) so I can get started on my next cycle). I have my follow up appointment Wednesday so I should know more after that.

I'm happy but sad at the same time. Yes, the polyp is gone but I am STILL a year away from a baby.

This reminds me of something. I loathe being told "you're young, you have plenty of time." The wonderful nurse at my new RE office has gone through infertility herself, not recurrent miscarriages but true infertility. When I mentioned that "you're young" is one of my triggers she said simply "Age doesn't matter, you want a baby. When you want a baby, you want a baby now."

Thank you, Ms. Nurse! I couldn't have said it better myself.

I feel so supported and understood by my medical team. I may sound like a broken record but it has made all of the difference for me. For my physical health. For my mental health. For my outlook.

I may be a year away from a baby but I remain hopeful.

No comments:

Post a Comment